In the pursuit to achieve an hourglass figure, the focus on arms often takes a back seat. While cardio helps to burn calories, achieving toned arms demands targeted exercises. That’s where yoga comes into the picture – a type of workout that’s not just for mind-body wellness but also to sculpt and tone specific areas. Worried about flabby arms? Yoga has the answers! Its diverse asanas stretch the body and include poses dedicated to arm toning. Whether during weight loss journeys or post-transformation, yoga helps to tone and sculpt the body. Though many yogasanas, like Vrikshasana (Tree Pose) and Trikonasana, engage the arms, these 6 specific poses stand out for their focused toning and strengthening of the arms.
1. Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff Pose): Chaturanga Dandasana is a powerful pose that strengthens the arms, wrists, shoulders, and core muscles. It starts in a high plank with shoulders over wrists. Also read: “6 Ways Yoga Can Help You Achieve Weight Loss.”
2. Phalakasana (Plank Pose): Phalakasana, or Plank Pose in yoga, is a foundational posture that strengthens the core, arms, shoulders, and wrists. Likewise, vasisthasana or the side plank pose, in which you hold the body weight on one arm also builds strength in the arms, wrists, and shoulders while engaging the core muscles.
3. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Bhujangasana, also known as Cobra Pose in yoga, primarily focuses on strengthening the muscles of the back, particularly the lower back. But during bhujangasana, you use your arms to lift your chest off the ground, which engages the muscles in your arms, such as the triceps and the muscles of the upper back and shoulders to support the lift.
4. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog Pose): Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward-Facing Dog Pose in yoga, begins in a tabletop position and transitions into an inverted V-shape, with palms pressed firmly, toes tucked, and hips lifted. This pose elongates the spine, extends the arms and legs, and stretches various muscle groups, particularly the hamstrings, calves, and shoulders.
5. Purna Bhuja Shakti Vikasaka (Arms Rotation): It refers to the practice and enhancement of strength, flexibility, and control in the arms, shoulders, and upper body through various yoga techniques, postures, and exercises. These exercises incorporates arm rotation, push-ups and poses like dolphin pose, dolphin plank, etc., enhance arm strength and stability. For example, Dolphin Pose is a yoga posture similar to Downward-Facing Dog but done on forearms instead of palms. This pose strengthens arms, shoulders, and upper back while stretching the hamstrings and calves. Also read: “5 Yoga Poses That Burn More Calories.”
6. Bakansana (Crow Pose): It’s a challenging yogasana that can be done later on during your yoga practice because it requires significant arm strength. Crow Pose strengthens the arms, wrists, and core muscles while improving balance and concentration. It’s essential to practice this pose gradually, building strength and stability over time, and always listen to your body to prevent strain or injury.
These yogasanas sculpts and tones the arms but also improves balance, and mental calmness. Whether as part of a weight loss journey or a quest for physical fitness, yoga serves as a versatile tool while contributing to the pursuit of well-toned and strengthened arms. Also, if weight loss is on your mind, subscribe to the Rati Beauty app to access all our weight loss diet plans.