Delectable combination of succulent fish enclosed in soft tortillas, complemented by a tantalizing grilled mango sauce that infuses a harmonious blend of sweet and smoky notes, elevating each bite of these irresistible fish tacos.
1 cup (each) green and red cabbage, shredded
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds cod fillets
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
1 cup mango, diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3 scallions, green parts only, sliced
2 tablespoons red jalapeño chile, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 to 2 teaspoons canned sauce of chipotle chiles
1/2 cup sour cream
8 corn tortillas
salt and ground pepper
Part 1: Cabbage Slaw
1. Combine cabbages and onion in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix vinegar, water, salt, brown sugar, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
3. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cabbage and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and a half (better more) before serving.
Part 2: Mango Sauce
1. In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, mango, red onion, scallions, jalapeño, cilantro, chives, and lime juice.
2. Toss the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. Chill the salsa for 30 minutes before serving. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Part 3: Fish
1. Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle cod with oil, add cumin, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Grill each side for 5 minutes until the fish is easily flaked, fully cooked, and has a golden-brown crust.
3. Squeeze lime juice over the grilled fish and adjust seasoning to taste.
Part 4: Assembling the tacos:
1. Whisk the sauce into sour cream in a small bowl.
2. Place flaked fish onto a warmed tortilla.
3. Add mango sauce, a tablespoon of sour cream, and two tablespoons of cabbage slaw.
4. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. Serve immediately.