In this post, we will discuss some amazing ayurvedic ingredients that can help you deal with acne and pimples. Chemicals can be too harsh for your skin at times, and anti-acne ointments can leave skin excessively dry and sensitive. Natural ingredients rarely have any side effects and they help clarify the skin without causing inflammation. They keep the skin free of acne and also help to restore the glow. So, here are some ayurvedic ingredients that can be either taken orally or applied topically to reduce acne and breakouts.
1. Ashwagandha: We often suffer from acne due to hormonal imbalance or stress. This Ayurvedic herb helps to deal with both the issues. It maintains the hormonal balance in our body and relieves the stress. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Unlike many anti-acne treatments, this one does not make the skin dry and keeps it healthy and moisturized. It can be taken orally or used topically.
2. Neem: How can we not include this amazing anti-bacterial ingredient that can clear acne when you apply it on skin as well as when you drink the juice extracted from the leaves. It detoxifies and purifies the blood and prevents breakouts. It also has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties that make it great for topical application. You can make a paste of neem leaves and apply it directly on the skin. You can also boil the leaves in water till the water goes green and use it as a toner (and drink it as well).
3. Moringa: The leaves of moringa makes skin firm, reduces large pores, detoxifies and hydrates the skin. It is available in powder form and you can use it as a pack by making a paste with rose water.
4. Shatavari: Many women suffer from breakouts due to PMS or PCOS. Oral intake of Shatavari root powder is believed to alleviate these skin issues.
5. Sandalwood Paste: If you want to spot treat the pimples, this one is a great solution. It dries out pimples without leaving any scars. This also prevents excess sebum accumulation. If you have severely oily and acne prone skin, you can regularly apply sandalwood pack and wash it off to keep away the excess oil. However applying the paste all over the face and leaving it overnight is not a great idea as it can make the skin very dry. Here’s a DIY Basil and Red Sandalwood Skin Clearing and Hydrating Face Pack to clear acne.
6. Kutki: This herb purifies the blood and detoxifies the liver. This herb helps you to combat such pimples. It also cools and cleanses the skin, soothing down red, inflamed acne.
7. Turmeric: Turmeric has potent anti-bacterial properties that clear acne and breakouts. It also fades scars, hyperpigmentation with regular use.
8. Nutmeg: Nutmeg contains essential oils that are beneficial for your skin. Along with that, it also has antiseptic properties which help fight pimples and acne. Here’s an effective nutmeg and Milk Face Pack that is also effective against acne scars.
You can get these ingredients in local Ayurvedic stores. However, it is better to consult a Ayurvedic practitioner and discuss your conditions (if you are pregnant or if you are lactating beforehand).